Rainy days with a sunny heart.


"They say it aint necessarily so; things aint always what they seem,
Its just the other man's grass, always looked so green,
It's just the other man's grass, it always looked so green.
You gotta hold on,
Do what your heart says,
You never know next time around, might see things your way."
- C J Smith

These words of wisdom come in lyrical form from my very own pops, a man who I admire eternally for his passion and dedication to living the life he loves, and as he says here.. following his heart with hope.
Hope is a wonderful thing... it isnt just dreaming or wishing, its believing in those dreams, that ambition, your destiny. Hope gives us reason to continue when times are difficult, when life tries to break us.. hope is what pulls us through;  hope for better days. Hope for a life of happiness.

And that is surely what all of us fundamentally desires.
Humans are built with survival instinct, to survive, to live, to be free. But with freedom and survival come emotional necessities.. We cannot truly live whilst we are holding ourselves back, getting hung up on worthless things or depriving ourselves of the richness life can give. We need happiness. And happiness should be something we seek more importantly than anything else.. Our own inner harmony should be our life goal.

And so going back to those lyrics of my dad's song.. I really feel it's vitally important to remember our own dreams, to nurture the grass in our own garden instead of constantly comparing it to those around us. You have to believe in yourself and your ability to be all that you desire to be.

Over the last year or so I have been working on consciously practicing positive thinking, mindfulness, and self-love.. To some it may all sound like spiritual, hippy-rubbish.. But in truth, it saved my life. 
Without digressing too much - it works. 
Learn positive words, speak positive words, tell yourself those words enough times, and slowly you will begin to think positive words. Positivity will become natural again, as it does to a young naive child whose heart hasn't been tainted by the negativity of life. Life shouldn't be tiring, it shouldn't be a chore or an effort to go about our days... Those that moan to me about their job/partner etc come faced with a simple answer from me - fix it. If you're not happy with something, do whatever you have to do to make it something you ARE happy with, and if you don't have strength to do that then accept that you are condemning yourself to unhappiness. And that is just ridiculous.

It really is that simple. Learn what it is that makes you happy and go after that, do more of the things you love and less of the things you don't. It sounds easy, but simple doesn't mean easy.. I know it's not; but active effort day by day and gradually life transforms.

I never imagined I could find such peace within myself; that I could be happy with nothing except myself and my own mind. These days I create my own happiness, and so when things go wrong, I'm feeling low, the skies are cloudy or it's just one of those days...  I can find a way out of it, a way to turn it around, a way to make every day a 'good day'. It's not about never being sad, or never feeling negative emotions.. It's about learning to accept them and move past them before they have chance to take hold of your heart. I try not to hold any negativity within myself for very long, I know how dangerous that can be.. Instead I hold on to positive vibes, I focus on the good and filter away all the rubbish.
Life feels a whole lot easier when you do. Infact, it can feel really quite wonderfull.

It's not to say I walk around on cloud nine with a huge Buddha-like grin on my face.. I feel everything, the good and the bad; I notice that the skies here in England are much more grey, and Im aware of how that can affect my spirit.. but the important thing here is holding on to the positive.. Remembering to tend to the grass in your own garden before eyeing up your neighbours, seeing the rainbow beyond the clouds and the light at the end. Life is beautiful.. but you have to allow your mind to open up enough to see that.







With love x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monk That Sold His Ferrari

A little perspective.