Healing air

I've just arrived back in London after a wonderfull weekend spent up north with my friends and family.. This break was prompted by an appointment up in Leeds on the Thursday, but I welcomed the opportunity to take advantage of that and gave myself a long weekend off.. 

It was JUST what I needed without even realising it. I feel revitalised and connected again.. Sometimes we just have to take a little time to step back and ground ourselves; spending time back home with my family does just that for me. 
At the moment work seems to require me living out a suitcase, commuting back and forth from my home in Birmingham to London and all the little places work takes me inbetween, I dont mind this at all.. But it can be hard to keep a sense of rhythm and normality, and to be honest I was beginning to feel drained of life.
Along with juggling some difficult personal stuff.. I was feeling more than a little spun out.
Having a few days to just sit back and relax, drink wine with friends and family and let all the pieces slip back into place was just what was needed. 

On the Sunday i spent the morning drinking cups of coffee with the papers at my Dad and his wife's house in Otley.. 
It was a beautiful autumn day so we decided to take a morning walk, we walked down by the river and up the hills of the Chevin. As we walked I began to feel all the stresses and tensions fade away.. I slipped my arm through my daddies and indulged in a safe feeling of comfort and love, knowing really nothing matters if we have that. I kept my eyes to the horizon; something I'm learning to so since reading The Valkries by Paulo Coelho where one of the characters describes the practice as this:

''Before I looked into the distance, and things in the distance seemed really far, you know? They seemed not part of my world. Because I was used to looking only at things that were close, the things around me.
But, two days ago, I got used to looking into the distance. And I saw that besides tables, chairs, and objects, my world also included mountains, clouds, the sky. And my soul - my soul seems to have eyes that it uses to touch those things.
...My soul seems to have grown''

And so that's what I did, I kept my eyes to the horizon, I noticed the fields and the trees in the distance, the way the sun shone on the ground and how the leaves had turned to a burnt orangey brown in be last few weeks.. I listened to them crunch under our feet as we walked silently side by side. It was incredibly peaceful and I was more present than I've felt in such a long time. I remember a feeling of warmth and contentment spread as I took deep breaths of this fresh cool autumn air into my lungs, as though it had been months since I last breathed it.. It rejuvenated my senses beyond belief. And yes, my soul feels like it's expanded again.. No longer deflated of life.

It's amazing how the most simple of things, the things we do all the time like walking and breathing.. when done in the right time and place and frame of mind can be so healing. We have to connect with ourselves; we have to take mental time to clear out and recollect ourselves. 
Sometimes these moments they just happen, and we can feel more peace and at-oneness than we do after hours of meditation and practiced mindfullness. These moments to me are the more beautiful.
These are the ones I cherish more than ever. I will remember that safe feeling I found on that walk and how it reconnected all the dots of my being. 
With love x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A little perspective.

The Monk That Sold His Ferrari