More than flowers and chocolate.

So Valentines day comes around again, separating the nation between those loved up and flower-laden.. And those either crying pitifully into a box of discounted chocolates or those singletons proudly remarking about how happy they are to be single, free and 'loving life'.. yet secretly catch themselves staring longingly into Clinton Cards... the harsh reality of being alone creeping in, despite the BeyoncĂ© independant-woman talk. 

We all crave love. It is a primary desire. Love shared with another being is one of the most natural and  beautiful experiences in life. However I have descovered something equally as wonderful.. The beauty in learning to love your life, exactly the way it is. Beau or no beau. 
Friendship. Friendship is almost more wonderful than the sort of intimate love we share with a lover. Friendship is an affection for another being, just the way they are. True friendship should have no boundaries, true friendship is the desire to share ourselves and our time with someone simply because we like who they are. It doesn't come from a place of ideals or 'perfect partner' boxes attempting to be filled; it has no demands, all it asks is for you to be you. How magical.

I am not someone with a Valentine this year, but I discovered I am luckier than that... I am a person with a handful of really very wonderful people around me. People that I realise the worth in, people I appreciate.
So instead of being that person being wined and dined, or that person crying woefully into my Sauvignon.. Or even that person attempting their best Single-lady talk... 
Instead I am a person thankful for my amazing family and friends, for that is all today really is about - Love. Love in all it's meanings. Today it signifies friendship to me, Maybe next year I will signify something else. 
Friendship has shown me that love is limitless.. Love can be found all around us. 

I spent this morning with a dear friend over good coffee, and now I am travelling back to Birmingham for the weekend to see my family.. That is where love is for me this year, it is in the friendships we build, not just in the romance. And yes, I would of course liked to have had a date to wine and dine with this evening.. But I don't, and actually.. I am absolutely okay with that. 
So today I want to take a moment to thank all those wonderful people around me.. Those people I am grateful to have in my life. I love you.




X



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monk That Sold His Ferrari

A little perspective.