Feeling free.

Freedom. It has many meanings..

From the literal sense of the natural freedom that comes with travelling and living each day differently, to mental freedom. And I don't just mean freedom from mental battles.. Because we all know that the health of our mentality is too complicated to catergorise so simple as freedom or not; happiness is a continuous journey, it takes daily effort in knocking down those walls our minds build through struggle to allow more beautiful things to grow in their place. Freedom in that degree is continuous. 

For this I'm talking about that inner feeling of freedom of self. Letting go of all previous self-expectations and limitations and throwing caution and inhibition to the wind and just letting live. Being wild, being childish, doing all the things your heart desires without fear, embracing youth and feeling energy for life... This is living. 

There are two important factors here for me; friendship and sunshine. Two priceless things which can transform our days from everyday to wonderful. Two things I think everyone can benefit from more of in their lives.

Sunshine. Sunshine makes us feel good. We all know the scientific facts about vitamin D, how sunlight can help with depression etc etc.. But all you have to do to relate this is think about that feeling when you wake up and the sun is shining and how you don't want to waste the day laying in bed; you want to get out and enjoy the day.
This is the feeling I have awoken with every day I've been here this time. (Well, perhaps bar that one Thursday.. Yes, you know the one I mean Tan, Man :-p ) It is a beautiful thing to be excited for each day. I enjoyed Barcelona in the winter, and it still had an incredibly special power for making me want to live each day, inspired by this incredible place around me.. But this city is something else in the summer, it comes to life. The air is warm and seems to buzz, the people smile more, the light is magical and there is an intoxicatingly addictive energy around which seems to always bring people back. The summer here is wonderful, the heat forces us to relax, to take siestas, to slow things down.. and the sunshine is making all of us feel happy, a little more golden and quite a lot more freckled :)

Friendship is a precious thing. Friendship brings us delights we cannot experience without the other. Sharing our time with people who make us feel good, who's souls energise us is a beautiful thing, and bringing joy to another is even more beautiful. I have a tattoo down my spine which has the words - 
'The greatest thing you'll every learn, is just to love and be loved in return.'
And it is a daily reminder to me of the importance of sharing our time with those that we love, those that make us happy. I used to interpret it only in the romantic sence; but now I see that it applies to love in all it's ways. Love of friends, family, ourselves, the world we live... To open ourselves up to love is to live. 
I tend to spend a lot of time physically alone, and usually I like that.. But I have totally embraced having one of my best friends here living and working with me this last month. Together we have learnt huge lessons in letting live and giving in to freedom of self. I have ticked off many of my personal 'bucket list' desires and it has been amazing. Indulging without guilt. From the wave-riding and 'natural'-swimming in the sea, to laughing until our bellies ached, from running carefree to the swings to relive our childhood attempts to swing over the top, to having breakfast for lunch if we fancy, stopping time to watch beautiful sunsets, to staying up all night talking and laughing if that's what our hearts desired.. The lack of strict time schedules has allowed us to live simply and freely, to do as our souls tell us to; and that is how you learn what really makes you happy, what makes you you. This brings a huge feeling of content, and that in itself is a wonderful thing.

Work has also brought me some amazing experiences.. Just yesterday I was at the top of a mountain looking back over the city, the views were immense, the people around me were inspiring, the weather was beautiful, the energy high, we ran around, we jumped, we opened our arms to the sky as a freak thunderstorm came and danced barefoot in the rain, we laughed a lot and I smiled all day.... And I was working?! It hardly feels like work when having such a good time, but I guess that's how it should be when you are doing something you love and that your heart desires. But I do appreciate how blessed I am to have a career which brings me such amazing opportunities and experiences, it is incredible and I value each day.

We have made amazing memories, ones I will never forget. I have photographs.. but the best memories are those stored in our mental photo album.

Thank you all to the people that have made this summer so wonderful.

With love x





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monk That Sold His Ferrari

A little perspective.