New Beginnings

Hello,

So thats it, my first ever Hot 90 Bikram class completed! I returned back from Paris a couple of days ago, had a day to prepare and went straight in with my first full public class yesterday evening. I can't begin to explain how I feel following it... its quite an overwhelming experience. Finally beginning my teaching journey after all these months of preparation and hard work; the intense weeks I spent training in paris all leading me to this point, and now I'm there, I feel so so much energy surrounding this part of my life.

My first class went better than I could ever have hoped... I felt confident, of course nervous (and pretty sick!) and concerned about my dialogue.. but actually, I knew that whatever happened, I KNOW that series, I have worked hard to study and understand the fundamental basics underpinning every posture.. and if I fumble over my words or mix up lefts and rights, I'm not going to beat myself up over that because I am a new teacher and I have to accept that this is where I am today.

Just as we are taught to remind our students just that... acceptance of where you are today. We always strive for goals, and that is important as it sets us goals to help us work towards, continuously improving and bettering ourselves and our lives. But whilst having this goals; it is important that we also learn to be able to accept where we are in relation to our journey towards achieving those goals.
My goal is to be a teacher that students relate to, connect with and receive wonderful energy from.. that inspires them, helps them to learn and grow and ultimately, to find that peace within themselves that we all desire. But I am accepting that right now, my main focus must just be on the basics, the dialogue, the flow and tempo of the class and timing. I know that time will bring the rest.
The slow and steady tortoise always wins the race.

When I was only working as a model, goals were very quickly accessed (with the right approach and determination!).. If I wanted to travel, I would speak to my booker; make some arrangements and within a few weeks, or even days, I could be on my way to a new city with a new contract. I had ambitions to get big magazine covers; within a few weeks of my first international modelling placement I had shot a cover for Harpers Bazaar. Don't get me wrong, I worked very hard for those things and I am eternally grateful for the opportunities that have come my way and I still love my job as a model.. But this is the first time in my life that I have put in a lot of time, money and studying in to achieve something, yet it is just the beginning now. I have begun, but my goal here is one that will always evolve. Being a 'great teacher' is an ever-lasting type of goal because you are always learning yourself, always changing.

So right now, at the start of my teaching career; I am accepting. I am evolving. I am growing. I am changing. My world is expanding, and there is no other place I could ever hope be than now.
Not the far off, possibly unattainable goal of being the 'perfect teacher', But right now, here.. as the inspired, ambitious new teacher that I am, with all my imperfections and nervous energy. I am alive and this is what it means to be living and aspiring to be and do greater things. To be more than just myself, to give back. To inspire, to heal, to love.

This is a time of change, growth and new beginnings. Many doors are opening, some closing, I'm not sure quite what the future holds but I know it will be beautiful. I know the universe has got me, I just have to trust, keep working hard, relax and enjoy the process. 

With love, Namasté x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monk That Sold His Ferrari

A little perspective.