Begin.


Hello!

Well today I have taken a beautiful big step into my journey as a teacher... I was first up from our group here at teacher training to teach the full series as a mock class. We treat this just as a real class, our 'students' are our fellow trainees and we go from start to finish just as we would when we get home and start teaching, then afterwards we receive feedback to discuss what served our students and what could serve better next time. (There is definitely a big difference here between this and 'you didn't do this, this could have been better' etc)

I feel so grateful that here at this training we get so many opportunities to really put into practice everything we are studying by really teaching.. This hands on approach just makes stepping up to the podium so much easier and more comfortable when we get home. Pretty much from day one and through all these weeks here we have been up on that podium teaching each other most days and it has become to feel like such a wonderful place to be. Nerve-wracking at times don't get me wrong, but more so; exactly where I'm meant to be. It's such a beautiful feeling to know you're exactly where you're meant to be.

So today, before teaching my first class I was very lucky that our schedule meant we had a Dharma yoga class and meditation all morning with Christian and then a nice long lunch before my class.. This was wonderful as the long practice in the morning and especially the meditation, put me into a very grounded place... I felt a huge sense of oneness.
I really feel this helped me when it came to teaching my class a few hours later because I carried that feeling with me into the studio and tried to make sure I kept calm and present and right there with my students the whole way.

Before the class, during my lunchbreak, I sat in the sunshine (which is always healing for me and a great energy-provider) and agreed wth myself that I was to surrender to the whole experience... I have studied as best I can, I have practiced as best I can; and I accept that I am new to this, we have only been training some weeks and I cannot expect to be teaching like an experienced teacher just yet.
Accepting where I am right now really helped me let go of self judgement and expectations. I do set high standards for myself and I don't believe that to always be a bad thing... But I am aware of where I am today and I am trying to accept that my imperfections are actually perfect in all their imperfection.

I decided to start my class with a moment of stillness; where I asked my students to set an intention for their practice today; as I did so I re-affirmed with myself the intention I had personally set myself for the class - To serve my students as best I can with what I have today. 
I accepted my limitations, I surrendered to the process and I took a big step onto my new path as a teacher... It felt incredibly powerful to surrender in such a way. So present. So open. So alive.

I shared a quote with my class at the beginning that I would like to also share here - 

'There is only one way to arrive at the destination: BEGIN.' - Sri Chinmoy.

..Every journey starts with a single step and we must make that leap with courage, today I took a leap into something new and unfamiliar but at the same time; something that feels exactly like the home I've been searching for.... It's still new, and probably for a little while I'll keep forgetting which drawer the forks are in, (or which leg is which in spine twist!) but over time there is no doubt that this place is going to become the most wonderful place I've ever been.😌✨

With love, Namasté x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monk That Sold His Ferrari

A little perspective.